Adopting a Dane
Before making a major commitment, we ask that you familiarize yourself with the special needs of this magnificent breed. Please visit Is a Dane right for you?
The first step in the Adoption process is to submit an Adoption Application. When completing the Application, the fewer stipulations you include, such as gender, age, colour, etc., will increase your chances of a speedy placement.
To be eligible for adopting:
- Your residence must be in Ontario.
- You must be 18 years of age, or older.
- You are not a student.
- You must be willing to pay the $25 Application Fee.
When submitted, you will receive email confirmation that we have received your Application. Please call your personal and vet references to let them know we will be contacting them and give them permission to release general information about you.
We will NOT adopt into homes where there are unaltered dogs unless there is a valid medical reason. We evaluate each application on an individual basis and any concerns we have will be addressed with you.
If you live in an urban area, you MUST have a securely fenced yard – invisible fencing is NOT acceptable.
Adoption Stages, once we are satisfied all adoption criteria have been met and the Application Fee has been paid, are:
- Area Coordinator contacts the prospective Adopter to cover all aspects of the available dog.
- Area Coordinator arranges for a home-check to be done at a mutually convenient time.
- Area Coordinator gets feedback from the volunteer who did the home-check.
- Home-Check results are discussed with the Area Coordinator, who contacts the prospective Adopter with any possible issues.
- Area Coordinator, at his/her discretion, arranges for the Adopter to visit the Dane with one of our volunteers.
- Observations of your interaction with the Dane by the volunteer attending and the Foster parents are discussed with the Area Coordinator.
- All information assimilated in the above steps is discussed by the Adoption Committee/Area Coordinator, and a decision is made about the suitability of the prospective Adopter.
- Based on the decision made in the previous step, Area Coordinator can commit the Dane to the prospective Adopter, and arrange with the Adopter for a date/time to take the Dane into his/her care.
- Ownership of Dane is transferred on the agreed date after the Adoption Contract is signed; witnessed and any applicable Adoption fees are paid.
If, before you are offered a placement, your circumstances change and you are no longer interested in adopting, please Contact Us to prevent wasting your time (and ours) if a dog becomes available.
There is a non-refundable $25 fee for your Application to be processed. This helps cover administrative/phone costs. When paid, it makes you eligible for consideration. Payment of this fee does NOT guarantee that you will be offered a rescued Great Dane, but it will make your application ‘Active’. We only commit resources to ‘Active’ applicants and consider these for Danes being adopted. You will receive email confirmation that your fee has been received.
The following pricing guidelines will be used – except in special cases which will be determined by the Area Coordinator. Adoption fees are not tax deductible.
Due to increased vetting costs, effective May 1, 2014:
- Less than 5 years old $475
- From 5 yrs. to 5 yrs. 11 months $400
- 6 yrs and Older – Min. Donation of $200
- Adopting 2 Danes at same time – Deduct $50 per Dane.
All Danes adopted from us are altered, up to date with vaccines and have been cleared health-wise by our vets for adoption.
The Adoption Contract has to be signed and your payment of the appropriate fee (by Cash, Certified Cheque, Money Order, PayPal or Interac eTransfer) received before the Dane can be transferred to your care.
I want to fill in an Adoption Application now!!