To qualify for Adopting, applicants must:
- Reside in Ontario or South-Western Quebec.
- Not reside in a multi-unit apartment, condo or loft building.
- Be willing to pay the $25 Application Fee.
- Meet all criteria listed in our Adoption Policies (below)
Our Policies are based on experience and designed to ensure the safety of our rescues and young children.
- Urban homes must have a securely fenced yard. Invisible fencing is NOT acceptable
- No unaltered dogs on premises.
- Resident children must be 8 y-o or older.
- Applicant must be 18 years of age, or older.
- Applicant cannot be a student.
- The maximum recommended time alone in any 24 hour period is 4 hours.
- Applicant submits an online Adoption Application.
- When received by us, an email confirmation of receipt will be sent.
- Applicant notifies all references to release any requested information about the Applicant.
- Our Area Coordinator will contact the Applicant to arrange a home visit.
- After a successful home visit, the Applicant can contact us when/if interested in one of our Available Danes.
- A meet-and-greet visit will be arranged and all vet records/other known information about the Dane will be provided before an Applicant commits to adopting the Dane.
- Ownership of the Dane will be transferred on the agreed date after the Adoption Contract is signed, witnessed and the applicable Adoption fees are paid.
Danes in Distress reserves the right to determine if an applicant is eligible to adopt a dog from our rescue group even if they have met all criteria (as listed on the application form and policies). Our intent is always to secure the best possible match to meet the individual needs of any rescued Dane.
All Danes adopted from us are spayed/neutered; up-to-date with vaccines; micro chipped; health checked before adoption. Each dog also comes with a collar, leash and a supply of food.
There is a one-time, non-refundable $25 administration fee for an Application to be processed. Payment of this fee does NOT guarantee that the Applicant will be offered a rescued Great Dane, but it will make his/her application ‘Active’. Once received, Applicant will be notified by email that the fee has been processed. We only commit resources to ‘Active’ applicants and consider these for Danes being adopted.
Adoption Fees: (Adoption fees are not tax deductible)
Less than 5 years old……………………………….$475
From 5 yrs. to 5 yrs. 11 months:………………$400
6 yrs and Older – Min. Donation of:…………$200
Adopting 2 Danes at same time:………………Deduct $50 per Dane*
*Please note: Discounts only apply to Danes younger than 6 y-o
The Adoption Contract has to be signed and payment of the appropriate fee (by Cash, Certified Cheque, Money Order, PayPal or Interac eTransfer) received before the Dane can be transferred to your care.
Fill in an Adoption Application now!!